background img

The New Stuff

Robyn's Bridesmaid Story


You all asked for it, and we answered!!! Our master bridesmaid consultant is here!! If you have questions for Robyn, let us know...She is here to help.


I've been sitting here trying to think exactly how many times I have been a bridesmaid and I have even used my fingers to count. It started when I was 6 years old as being a flower girl in a friend of the family's wedding and it snow balled from there. The next time I was in a wedding I was sixteen and I had graduated to being a bridesmaid, flash forward 20 years and I have been a bridesmaid 5 more times and a maid of honor 1 time (that was exciting). Overall in a 30 year span I have been in 8 weddings total, that I can remember anyway. Lol!
 Committing to being in a wedding can be quite costly, I suggest to anyone before agreeing to be in any wedding party you consider the cost(s) that come along with the honor and the responsibility. I have been in weddings where it cost me almost nothing more then my dress, shoes, jewelry, etc... And I have been in weddings were it cost me a great deal more. Worth it? Definitely! Depending on your role in the wedding and how close you are with the bride or the groom, your expenses will vary. Expenses include but are not limited to your dress, shoes, hair, makeup, accessories, bridal shower and bridal shower food, prep, etc, a bachelorette party and the list goes on. The most extravagant bachelorette party
I had to plan was the one where I was the Maid of Honor, thankfully the group of bridesmaids she had where a 100% committed to taking on their share of the expenses and even though it was an expensive shower and bachelorette party it was bearable. Luckily I was fortunate and didn't really come across any unexpected costs and for the most part have had success in having the other members of the bridal parties on the same page. If I had to, I would say the one and only time there was a slight more cost on my end was when I was in a bridal party where the other 2 girls were impossible to get a hold of or were not able to meet up as often as we should have and the brides mom and I had to buy the stamps and do all the invites to the bridal shower. But that was pretty minimal, just more frustrating.
I had been asked to be in another friends wedding at one point and I had to decline, not because I couldn't afford it, but I just didn't know where I was going in my life, I had been thinking about joining the military and didn't want to commit not knowing where I would be. Long story short I didn't end up going into the military and still attended the wedding, as a guest. My point is no matter your reason, its wise to inform the bride to be as soon as possible whether or not you will be able to participate in the responsibilities that go a long with being part of a bridal party. After all its an honor to be asked to be part of a bridal party, whomever it is thinks highly enough of you that they want you standing up for them at the alter sharing in their special moment. Be gracious, yet courteous and if you need to kindly decline. If your friend or family member thinks that highly about you they will understand. Maybe they could even give you a part in the wedding that won't cost you anything (singing, reading a special verse or a poem). If you do agree, its wise to get together as soon as possible with the rest of the bridal party to discuss ideas and costs so there are no future surprise expenses!
Happy Planning :-)




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts